Recipe: Vegan Longganisa Inspired by AstigVegan

by - Wednesday, May 31, 2017



It's been over a month since I had eaten pork. And there are days when I crave for adobo, sinigang and my favorite longganisa. So I searched for recipes and voila, the first hit was from astigvegan.com which is very popular on the internet. I'm not vegan (just yet) but it is a very healthy substitute and of course delicious! I omitted some ingredients (porcini mushrooms, liquid smoke and pine nuts) from her original recipe because I don't have them in my kitchen. 

I fried some organic egg, made some cauli rice and there goes my favorite Longsilog! Craving satisfied!


INGREDIENTS

1 small pack dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water, minced
1 pack extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed, crumbled
¼ cup brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed, and minced
¼ cup tomato paste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 tablespoon chili oil (or more if you're a bicolana like me)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
drizzle of honey
black pepper
salt to taste
1 cup or more of breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil

PREPARATIONS
  1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl except the breadcrumbs and vegetable oil. Mix, mix, mix.
  2. Add the breadcrumbs. Mix everything using your hands so all the ingredients are properly combined.
  3. Set aside and let it marinate for at least 30 minutes.
  4. Taste mixture and adjust seasoning to taste.
  5. Use your hands to form mixture into sausage shape, add more breadcrumbs if needed so your longganisa will not be soggy.
  6. Heat your pan or skillet over medium heat.
  7. Once hot enough, pour vegetable oil.
  8. Fry vegan "longganisa" until all sides are brown.
  9. Turn off heat and transfer to a serving plate.
  10. Serve hot with tomato on the side.
Find the original recipe here: www.astigvegan.com/vegan-longganisa-sausages

You May Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! Follow me and I will follow back