Recipe: Vegetarian Sushi Roll

by - Sunday, May 28, 2017


Hello guys! I'm so back from a long absence. As you may have noticed if you follow me on instagram, I have been eating healthy foods since April. This is because of some health issues that came out after my annual physical exam. Year after year, a new illness is discovered by my doctor (nothing so serious and dreaded btw) but it still made me praning. So, I decided to make some changes in what I put inside my body. I started incorporating whole foods into my diet. More fruits and veggies, less meat (no pork at all) and fish especially processed. I also started going to the gym to stretch those muscles out. After all, prevention is better than cure right? Cooking is one of my passion and I think I will be sharing some of my vegetarian recipes on this blog once in a while..

I love sushi, maki and everything japanese. I always buy them whenever I get the chance. It is such a satisfying meal and makes me so full after eating. So, while I was shopping at the supermarket, I saw some sushi and thought why not make it myself? It will be more tipid and more delicious than the ones sold in Tokyo-Tokyo charot. Of course I made the vegetarian version, no raw fish involved. 

Heres my recipe:

INGREDIENTS
  • cooked sushi rice 2 cups 
  • rice wine vinegar 2 tbsp
  • sugar 2 tbsp
  • salt to taste
  • roasted nori seaweed 4 sheets
  • English cucumber 1/2, thinly sliced
  • carrot 1/2, peeled and thinly sliced
  • ripe avocado 1/2, thinly sliced
  • ripe mango 1/2, thinly sliced
  • red bell pepper 1/2, thinly sliced
  • light soy sauce for dipping
  • wasabi paste (optional)
PREPARATIONS
  1. Combine the rice and water in a rice cooker. If you don’t have a rice cooker, combine the rice, water and 1 teaspoon of olive oil and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove the rice from heat and let sit, covered, for 10 more minutes. Let it cool.
  2. In a small bowl, combine the rice wine vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir well to allow the sugar to dissolve.
  3. Prepare and slice the filling ingredients for the rolls and set aside.
  4. Transfer the rice to a large bowl and pour in the vinegar mixture. Use a spatula to gently fold in the rice until the mixture is fully incorporated. The rice will start to look glossy. 
  5. Place a small bowl of water and a kitchen towel near your work area as your hands will get sticky. Place one nori sheet, glossy side down, onto a bamboo mat and press a handful of rice onto the lower two-thirds of the sheet. At the bottom of the rice place your toppings. Don’t overfill or it will be more difficult to roll. Use the bamboo mat to tuck and roll the nori. Once rolled, use the bamboo mat to gently press and shape the roll. Place the roll to the side, cut side down. Repeat with remaining rolls.
  6. Use a sharp chef’s knife to cut the sushi. Wipe the knife clean with a damp towel between cuts.
  7. Serve immediately with kikkoman soy sauce and wasabi.
Till next recipe guys. 

You May Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! Follow me and I will follow back