Recipe: Vegan Laing

by - Tuesday, June 13, 2017


Laing is one of my favorite while I was growing up. My grandmother cooks laing almost everyday. It's a staple in every household especially if you are a Bicolana. Laing is made from Taro leaves - fresh or dried, coconut milk, and your choice of pork, shrimp, dried/smoked fish. It is also seasoned with alamang and lots of siling haba or labuyo. And since I'm going vegan already, I did not add meat or fish in this recipe and it's just as delicious as the one with pork. Even my daughter who doesn't eat laing tasted it and said it's okay as her baon. 


Ingredients
  • ½ kg gabi (taro) leaves 
  • 1 cup coconut cream (1st extraction)
  • 3 cups coconut milk (2nd extraction)
  • 2 tbsp black bean garlic sauce
  • 1 tbsp ginger
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 medium onion
  • siling haba or labuyo (chili) 
  • salt to taste
  • veggie chicharon for toppings
Directions
  1. Sauté garlic, then onion and ginger. Then add the black bean garlic sauce.
  2. Add coconut milk. Cover until boiling.
  3. Add gabi and do not stir, just press the leaves to soak into the coconut. Over low heat, cover until all the leaves are wilted and tender. 
  4. Add the coconut cream (thick coconut milk), sili (chili) and salt. Cover until coconut milk looks like oil.
  5. Serve hot with rice and veggie chicharon.
Original recipe is from astigvegan.com

You May Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! Follow me and I will follow back